The final in a series of six evidence-based guidelines, the Neonatal and Paediatrics module’s recommendations were approved by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) on 21 March 2016. The module was released on 29 April 2016.
Module 6 is intended to assist and guide health-care professionals in making clinical decisions about blood management in neonatal and paediatric patients.
Module 6 includes six appendixes that provide guidance on dosing, assessment and optimisation of various products and situations in the neonatal and paediatric population. The Haemoglobin Assessment and Optimisation template (Appendix H) and the Critical Bleeding Protocol (Appendix K) are designed to be adapted to meet the needs of local institutions’ protocols, policies and procedures.
The Neonatal and Paediatrics module and accompanying resources can be accessed by clicking on the relevant links below.
- Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics (pdf) (3.47 MB)
- Module 6 Neonatal and Paediatrics Online (html)
- Quick Reference Guide Neonatal and Paediatrics (pdf) (1.24 MB) (522.47 KB)
- Hb assessment and optimisation template (ppx) (6.44 MB) (6.44 MB)
- Critical Bleeding Protocol template (ppx) (6.45 MB) (6.45 MB)
- Online order form to request hard copies for free (within Australia and New Zealand only)
- Technical Report Neonatal and Paediatrics - Volume 1 - Review of Evidence (pdf) (8.25 MB)
- Technical Report Neonatal and Paediatrics - Volume 2 - Appendixes (pdf) (9.95 MB)
College & Society Endorsements
The National Blood Authority (NBA) greatly appreciates and acknowledges the input received from the clinical community in producing the Patient Blood Management Guidelines. We are pleased to acknowledge that the following organisations have formally endorsed Module 6 - Neonatal and Paediatrics.
- Australasian College for Emergency Medicine
- Australasian Society for Emergency Medicine
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion
- Australian College of Children and Young People's Nurses
- Australian College of Critical Care Nurses
- Australian College of Rural & Remote Medicine
- Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
- College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia and New Zealand
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
Review and update of the PBM Guidelines
The NBA is currently considering the review and update process across the entire suite of modules rather than each module being updated in an isolated and iterative process. The aim is to transition to a sustainable and updateable methodology that will enable updates as the evidence base and clinical practice evolves. For more information please refer to the Patient Blood Management Guidelines Progress Update webpage.
For more information
To provide feedback and inform future reviews of this module, please send any comments on its content or implementation, or on the accompanying materials, to the project manager at:
- Email email@example.com
Patient Blood Management Guidelines
National Blood Authority
Locked Bag 8430
Canberra ACT 2601
- Fax (02) 6151 5300