"NATA recognises that the National Blood Authority’s Managing Blood and Blood Product Inventory guidelines is an important initiative which may help in ensuring a reduction in unnecessary wastage of blood and blood products.
NATA supports the National Blood Authority’s initiative in producing these guidelines.
It is also recognised that the implementation of a blood and blood product transfer agreement between users could assist laboratories to enhance the availability of blood and blood products."
This guideline is endorsed or supported by:
Australian & New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion Ltd (ANZSBT)
The Royal College of Pathologists of Australia (RCPA)
National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia (NATA)
- What blood and blood products are covered?
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT BASICS
- What is inventory management?
- Why is inventory management important?
- 10 TIPS TO HELP MANAGE YOUR BLOOD PRODUCT INVENTORY
- Tip 1: Understand your inventory
- Tip 2: Provide expert training
- Tip 3: Set appropriate inventory levels
- Tip 4: Keep procedures simple
- Tip 5: Build collaborative relationships
- Tip 6: Use oldest product first
- Tip 7: Optimise crossmatching procedures
- Tip 8: Maintain all equipment appropriately
- Tip 9: Have a plan to conserve inventory in times of shortage
- Tip 10: Have a patient blood management program
How do you obtain a copy?
If you would like a hard copy of Managing Blood and Blood Products please use the Stop the Waste! Promotional Material Order Form.